Pages

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Bubble Girls

15.5 months. We made it 15.5 months with only one minor instance of any kind of sickness (I am knocking on wood right now). Until now. Teags came down some kind of bug that gave her a pretty high temperature and a case of the cuddles. Which is somewhat rare, because she'd rather smother her mother than snuggle. This didn't sit well with Caroline, who almost matched Teagan cry for cry the past few days.

Now I'm all for self-responsibility, but she obviously didn't give this sickness to herself, so I need to place blame somewhere else. And I blame the peds office. They have the waiting room divided into two sections: a "well" child section and a "sick" child section. Thank god germs are not airborne, otherwise the sick kids could infect the well kids (insert my not impressed sarcastic face here). I'm also glad they give the sick kids masks to wear. You know the ones I'm talking about right? The ones the kids take off in order to sneeze. Yeah, those.

 I mean, I should get used to this, right? Well maybe I don't have to get used to this because I have a practical, ingenious idea stolen from Jake Gyllenhaal and John Travolta movies. I'll just put the girls in a bubble! Their own separate bubbles of course. And only for the formative years. The only qualm I would have is that Caroline has a pretty stinky butt that may make her bubble uninhabitable for most of the day. And I'm worried about them running over rocks. And wind. Wind's a big issue. But other than that, I think it's a perfectly appropriate solution.

If the girls were in a bubble they wouldn't get sick, therefore, they wouldn't get me sick. I am also sick at this moment and although it's not horrible, it's still a pain in the buns.  I don't typically "do well" with sickness either. I'm fortunate I didn't have a temp as high as Teagan's because the last time I did, I hallucinated Asian children dancing and mocking me around my bed (true story). Teagan won't share her goldfish crackers with me, but she'll share whatever this is. I know the exact moment she infected me. She was sitting next to me on the couch and I allowed her to have her nuk because she wasn't feeling well. I was looking at her and she was looking straight forward. Then she sneezed. You're probably thinking "Oh, well if she was looking straight forward, the sneeze shouldn't have been by you". But you are forgetting she had a nuk in. And that nuk acted as a sneeze shield, which dispersed the sneeze SIDEWAYS!! And directly into my mouth. It was like every scene in the movie "Outbreak". I could actually hear my antibodies scream a collective "shit". It was karma because I laughed a few days earlier when one of the girls (probably Teagan the "Ebola Monkey") drooled into Brad's mouth. Or it was god punishing me. One or the other.


While three years ago, I could have just laid in bed, reading or watching movies all day, as a mother, you just have to power through it. There really are no sick days allowed sometimes (or snow days or mental health days or day drinking days).  So here's to hoping my baby feels better, I feel better and my other one doesn't get sick.

NOTE: No babies were placed in bubbles for the writing of this blog. Tarable's Two also doesn't suggest nor encourage you to place your baby in a bubble, because that's just crazy talk.






*Disclaimer* Before anyone freaks out and wants to scold me because I blamed the doctors office, I realize it was not their fault for my child's sickness. That was used for dramatic effect. And besides, everyone knows liberals are to blame....

That was a joke too, because I'm liberal from my mom's side...

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could laugh at this blog but it is not funny the girls are sick. Nor that I have caught the "ick." I, however,can lie in bed as long as needed and have done so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, Anonymous, I have been waiting for someone like you. One (not both) of the girls is sick and yes, that in itself is not funny. But if one doesn't try to look at the humor in certain situations, coping becomes that much harder. But thanks for taking time to comment.

      Delete
  2. I can and did laugh at this blog! Not at the fact that your lil one is sick, but at:

    "The only qualm I would have is that Caroline has a pretty stinky butt that may make her bubble uninhabitable for most of the day. And I'm worried about them running over rocks. And wind. Wind's a big issue. But other than that, I think it's a perfectly appropriate solution. " ---- That made me laugh

    and

    "It was like every scene in the movie "Outbreak". I could actually hear my antibodies scream a collective "shit". It was karma because I laughed a few days earlier when one of the girls (probably Teagan the "Ebola Monkey") drooled into Brad's mouth. Or it was god punishing me. One or the other." ------ That is some funny shit, cause I have had this happen to me more than I would like to admit, not only the Outbreak moment, but the karma moment!

    OH and the last bit about being liberal from your mom's side, is great stuff! I love it!

    You are funny and ANYone who can find the humor in the trials and tribulations of dealing with our sick kiddo's is great in my book...... Sometimes ya gotta laugh to keep from cryin!


    You just got a new follower! Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete